Visit Library section for more information about Medivia
Welcome to Medivia! Learn more
Forum > News > Rework of formulas
[REPLY]
Developer
Rework of formulas
Dear players

As you may have heard, some of the current formulas will undergo changes. I will explain what is going to change and why we decided to work on them.
We would like to hear your feedback and suggestions.

New armor formula:
The biggest flaw that current formula has is that formula is linear. It means that, for example, upgrading your Brass Armor to Plate Armor will increase minimum and maximum damage reduced by a physical attack by the same amount as if you would upgrade your Dragon Scale Mail to Magic Plate Armor. We want armor matter, worth upgrading.

Here you can see how the new armor formula looks like compared to the old one (X value being your total armor; Y value being damage blocked; red being the old formula; blue being the new formula).

min = totalArmor^(4/3) * 0.25
max = totalArmor^(3/2) * 0.2 + 1

New distance damage formula
We have noticed that at higher levels, vocations starts to blend. Rangers can be blockers, due to the high health pool, they also throw away their bows and crossbows to wear a shield. One of the reasons why it does happen is that distance and melee damage becomes nothing compared to rune damage.
The formula is linear - it's not worth the effort to train at very high skills, the damage boost is too small. End-game monster's armor is too high for rangers to deal a reasonable amount of damage.
Here you can see how the new distance formula looks like compared to the old one.
(X value being your distance fighting skill; Y value being damage dealt; red being the old formula; blue being the new formula).
Hunting bolts (34 attack) are used in this example.

y = 10 + distSkill^(3/2) * 0.0085 * ammoAtk

Average ranger (200 level and 100 distance skill) before the change dealt about 130 damage on average.
The same ranger, after the change, will deal about 170 damage on average. About 30% more.

New melee damage and shielding formula
Some time ago, on Discord, I posted a graph showing buff in knight's damage. We decided to nerf it a little bit because for a simple reason - knight is not a DPS vocation. They are tanks, blockers. This is how it looks like:
(X value being your melee fighting skill; Y value being damage dealt; green being the old formula; blue being the new formula).
Stonecutter axe (50 attack) is used in this example.

y = 5 + weaponAttack * 0.021 * meleeSkill^(5/4)

Knight with melee fighting 100 and 50 attack weapon will deal 37 more damage (12% more).
The same knight, but with higher melee skill (115) will deal 55 more damage (about 16% more).

We want them to block more damage, not to deal it. That's where new shielding and armor formula comes in.
Players with shielding skill 50 will block 27 more damage (14% more). Players with shielding skill 100 will block 104 more damage (28% more).
Here you can see how the new shielding formula looks like compared to the old one.
(X value being your shielding skill; Y value being damage blocked; red being the old formula; blue being the new formula).
Mastermind Shield (37 defence) is used in this example.

y = 10 + defValue * defFactor * defSkill^(6/5) * 0.005
defFactor = 5 (full attack)
defFactor = 7.5 (balanced)
defFactor = 10 (full defense)

But it doesn't mean that knights shouldn't deal any damage. There will be also a change in how do two-handed weapons work.
If knights want to deal damage, they have to discard their defence.
All two-handed weapons will have their attack increased and defence halved. Also, this change will affect attack speed of these weapons.
It will take 3 full seconds to take a swing with such a huge weapon.

In few days a test server will open, so players will be able to try formulas before they will go live. Information about the test server will be posted later.

HAVE IN MIND THAT SOME FORMULAS MIGHT CHANGE, DUE TO FEEDBACK OF THE PLAYERS.
Posted 2 months ago by Eldrin (1 None of Legacy) Quote
Tutor
I like it, thanks Eldrin :)

Can I assume weapon def would work the same as before, same formula just uses melee skill instead of shielding?

//Weapons will use new shielding formula too, but x will be melee skill, not shielding - Eldrin
Posted 2 months ago by Le'mon (35 Archmage of Legacy) Quote
Player
Defo like the changes! can't w8t..

However, 2h in my opinion is a bit uneccesary to do it like that.

Maybe EG buff the attack by a little bit lets say great at current 53---> 63 and keep 2s for sake of simplicity?
Posted 2 months ago by Oblivious (183 Knight of Legacy) Quote
Player
Hi, thank you for your post!

My first thoughts are that the slower hit rate of two handers will be nice for seeing big melee hits, but will not synergise with procs like berserk/gauge at all. For example, with a 2% chance to activate berserk, hitting once every 3 seconds, the buff will be up for 12 seconds every 2.5 minutes assuming you constantly hit (which you won't). That's a 10%~ buff which is active less than 10% of the time in the best case scenario. Considering you have no control over when it activates this seems very lackluster.

Nonetheless, I really like the ideas, and look forward to seeing how you respond to the feedback :)
Posted 2 months ago by Margo (312 Knight of Legacy) Quote
Player
Looks really nice, it should work out really well.
What I dislike a little bit is the massive increase in palladin's damage, with how they totally bypass the shield (which was also buffed in this patch) while ek's damage has been buffed only by a little bit, at the same time with shielding buffed significantly, which could mean that the damage increase is mitigated by the higher blocks of our targets.
That brings a pretty important question imo:
@Eldrin, is the block of monsters also affected by the changes in this patch?

An important thing to mention is, that changing the speed of attacks will have other effects, such as lower amount of attacks on the target (important for shield break) and slower training of your skill with how you hit less often.

//Monsters will still use old formulas for both armor and defense.
Posted 2 months ago by Hellboy (385 Knight of Legacy) Quote
Tutor
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgd555yw9i5cybl/formulas.xlsx?dl=0

Comparing new to old. Have fun my bros.

Posted 2 months ago by Le'mon (35 Archmage of Legacy) Quote
Player
And how about the average DMG ???

I guess the main problem about mellee DMG is how randomized this is !!!

Not make sense for exemple i knight with 100 sword skill and SoV hitting "PUFF", 6 DMG ...etc in monsters like rats and wolves and this happens with me aways =(

I think this should be a priority of alll
Posted 2 months ago by Highlanderr (170 Knight of Pendulum) Quote
Player
replacing straight linear formulas for slightly quadratic sounds fair....

though i dont like changing the tick time for 2h weapons.... dont make the same faul CIP did by introducing a ton of new mechanics... we love that exact set of mechanics we have here.

better only increase 2h damage by 50% (not 100%) and keep same tick time. or something like that
Posted 2 months ago by Darck Chillum (64 Warrior of Legacy) Quote
Player
PLAYER
Looks really nice, it should work out really well.
What I dislike a little bit is the massive increase in palladin's damage, with how they totally bypass the shield (which was also buffed in this patch) while ek's damage has been buffed only by a little bit, at the same time with shielding buffed significantly, which could mean that the damage increase is mitigated by the higher blocks of our targets.

signed
Posted 2 months ago by Colono (272 Knight of Destiny) Quote
Player
Colonocould mean that the damage increase is mitigated by the higher blocks of our targets.

Eldrin said in the discord that monster armour~ would not change (IIRC), maybe we can assume monsters will not change at all?
Posted 2 months ago by Margo (312 Knight of Legacy) Quote
[REPLY]
We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.
Loading... Loading...